Building Our New Church and War Years

Our current E. Rock Springs building was started in 1947 and completed in 1948. First services in tghe new sanctuary were delayed until November 1948 because the pews hadn’t been delivered. The N. Highland building had ben sold. How joyful the first service must have been! To God Be the Glory!

Reverend W. Rembert Sisson was assigned to Haygood in 1944. Reverend Sisson was sent to Haygood with the express intent of building a new church. He had just finished one a year or so before at Barnesville. Labor and materials were very high in price at the time material became available, but the times or business was good and the members were making some money. In one of his sermons, the pastor, in stating that it would be necessary for everyone to give as much as he possibly could in order to do the building, he also stated that not a member of the congregation would hesitate if he wished to purchase an automobile; and that the lowest priced one (at that time) was $1,000.00; that, he believed that if such a member really desired to contribute $1,000.00 to the building of the new church, he could do that also. Some thereafter who possibly had not thought of giving that amount, did so and then more. For a whole year, during and just after the construction of the church building, of fifty-two weeks, the congregation paid a little more than $52,000.00, averaging a little more than $1,000.00 per week.